Mysore style yoga is the traditional way of practicing Ashtanga yoga, Mysore style got its name through Shri K.Pattabhi Jois who taught Ashtanga yoga in Mysore, India. Traditional Ashtanga yoga continues to be taught in this style all over the world. It is advisable to attend at least 5 to 6 classes a week.
Why Mysore style yoga ??
- Students are taught sequence of postures on a one-on-one instruction basis, which means that you don’t need to follow everyone’s routine, You have your own routine.
- The right movement and breathing are learned slowly and gradually giving you more time to develop strength and flexibility.
- Gives each student their own space and time to practice and memorize each step. Which means if you are taking more time to learn a step it doesn't matter, you have your own timing, you don’t need to try to fit in with others pace.
- Teacher/ Instructor is able to give individual attention to each student.
- Since this method follows a highly personalized method, classes are more flexible, though it is advisable to follow a particular routine , you still dont miss out on any movements even if you miss out on a class or are not in time.
Mysore style yoga for beginners.
- It is suggested to start Ashtanga practice in a mysore class.
- Observation is the most important way to understand the practice, so students in their first classes are made to observe and learn.
- After observation you will start learning the basic movements and breathing techniques.
- Students will need more attention of the teacher in this level.
Mysore style yoga for proficient ones.
- Once you are proficient you can independently practice at your own pace.
- If you face difficulty at any stage your instructor will be their to guide you or if your finding it difficult to perform any pose they will just teach you an alternate one .
- The duration of your practice will increase according to your ability and you will be taught new movement and poses one after another as per the sequence.
- -The learning will happen slowly and gradually as this method is all about memorizing.